Since we’re still in January and we’re all looking to be new and improved versions of ourselves, I thought I’d let you all in on my skin care secrets.
Here are my fail-proof skin rules that I usually refer to as my skin commandments:
- Drink More Water: This is an obvious one, but it truly does make a difference in the way you feel and the way you look. Water doesn’t necessarily hydrate the skin in the way we believe it does, but I always know when I’m suffering from dehydration, my skin starts eating up my makeup. I have an app of my phone “Water Drink Reminder” which reminds me every ten minutes to drink water.
- Cleanse Your Skin Twice Daily: You must wash your face; at night it’s a requirement and in the morning you can splash some water on your face if you prefer. You do not want to go to bed with traces of makeup, dirt or oil which can lead to clogged pores, breakouts and dull skin. At the very least, keep makeup wipes close by to use when exhausted.
- Load Up On Antioxidants: Antioxidants are vitamins and nourishment for your skin. Some, like Vitamin C, increase the effectiveness of your sunscreen and fight off free radical damage that lead to signs of aging. I prefer to use them in the form of a serum as it penetrates better.
- Moisturize Your Skin: And when I say to moisturize your skin, I do not mean slapping it on, but massaging your moisturizer into your skin in circular motions. It helps increase circulation, I totally believe in facial exercises.
- Protect Your Face: Sunscreen is a must! The damage caused by UV rays can caused irreversible damages. You want a sunscreen with a minimum of SPF 15 that protects both from UVB (burning) and UVA (aging) rays.
- Exfoliate at Least Once or Twice a Week: Exfoliation removes the dead skin cells that can dull your skin and also gets rid of any flakes you may have. I prefer chemical exfoliation as it gives you a deeper exfoliation and can really get into your pores. If you do use a physical scrub, opt for one with spherical beads to avoid scratching your skin.
- Retinoids: Retinoids are a God send and help with so many skin issues. They help with acne, aging, dark spots, etc. Retinoids basically tell your skin to act right.
- Hands Off: This was my worst habit as a teenager. I was constantly touching and picking at my skin. This can lead to scarring and dark spots. By touching your face, you could also be transferring bacteria, so make sure after you’ve completed your morning or nightly routine, no more touching!
- Sleeping Beauty: So, we are all already aware that sleep deprivation is never a good thing for your skin (think dark circles and a grey cast), but you can also optimize your sleeping beauty routine with the following tricks. I sleep on a satin pillowcase, unlike cotton, it won’t dry out your skin or your hair. I routinely change my pillowcase as well. I also turn on my humidifier at night which makes my skin super soft in the morning.
- Jump Rope: Last but not least, exercising. I believe a dose of cardio can be rejuvenating to your skin. Naomi Campbell in her New Beauty interview had said that jumping rope keeps her skin taut. A friend had shared that her dermatologist told her to jump rope to help with her acne. Get your blood pumping and add some sort of cardio to your daily routine.
Those are my top ten skin rules, please share some of yours below!
It was in high school that I decided it was time to find my “look”. It was only fitting because I was 15 and on my way to adulthood of course, it was time to establish my beauty identity. Looking back, it went far from well, I was basically a teenage girl in drag. I would apply MAC’s Amber Lights gold eye shadow all over my lid and then I would follow with Shadowy Lady, it’s a dark purple that I would apply all over my crease. I would then load up on L’Oreal Double Extend mascara in Carbon Black (whyyyy was the original discontinued). It didn’t end there, I also wore a hot pink Rimmel lipgloss every day with an Annabelle blush to match. Keep in mind, that all of this was after I had caked on loads of foundation, concealer and powder on my face. My beauty identity continued to evolve, but one thing has never changed: my quest for beautiful skin. My beautiful skin requirements are blemish-free, even toned, poreless and free of fine lines. I know it’s a stretch, but there are certain steps that you can take towards achieving a beautiful complexion. It’s not so much the need for perfect skin, but more so creating an environment where you nourish the skin you’re in.
Thought I’d share with two of my favourite skin care products:
- La Roche Posay Effaclar Purifying Foaming Gel: This has been my ride or die cleanser for years now. I discovered it years ago when I was working as a cosmetician at a local pharmacy. It doesn’t leave my skin dry and it removes all traces of makeup. Also, the pH is at a suitable level to ensure your skin isn’t left irritated.
- La Roche-Posay Ultra-Fluid Lotion SPF 60: This sunscreen is the bomb! I’ve been using it since it was first released years ago. It dries matte and you’re not left with a gray cast. I wear sunscreen every day, no matter what.
Let me know below if you’ve ever tried these products or if you have any other product suggestions!
My skin has been a mess this summer. I believe it’s a combination of travelling, blasting the air conditioning and not following a proper skin care regimen. All of that combined has left me with severely dehydrated skin with a dusting of oil on top. Usually, my skin is a barrel of oil so this is a huge change for me – at first, I wasn’t sure how to handle it. I was cleaning out my skin care stash and I found a Caudalie Moisturizing Cream Mask I had purchased, but never really put to use. When I saw the word “moisture”, I dashed to the bathroom and dripped myself in the mask.
I decided to steam it off to make sure all the moisture goodness penetrated my skin and I was surprisingly pleased. It was super hydrating, the main ingredients are glycerin and grape seed oil which Caudalie uses in most of its products. My skin didn’t feel sticky and there was no film, I was left with smooth and hydrated skin. I’ve began to incorporate it into my daily routine, I’ll apply it right before brushing my teeth and then wash it off in the shower. I really like the effect that steam has on this mask and my skin.
I’m happy that I revived my love for this product (I must have purchased it for some reason). I’ve seen a vast improvement in my skin, now I just need to add more moisture infusing products that are also oily skin friendly to get back to my original suppleness.
I’m going to be vlogging about my beauty rehab routine soon, so you’ll be able to follow along on my journey.
I need to inject some colour into my life, I feel like my makeup is becoming old. You can predict exactly how I will look on every day of the week. Nude lips? Check! Winged liner? Check! Bronzey cheeks? Check! How boring! I was browsing the Anastasia Beverly Hills section of Sephora and my eye fell on the Craft Liquid Lipstick. I couldn’t believe what was happening, was I having a positive experience towards a BRIGHT colour! Uhm yes, that what was exactly happening.
The packaging is nice and sleek. It reminds me of the design of the Colour Pop Ultra Mattes.
Just look at this colour, it’s so beautiful. It looks so beautiful on darker skin tones or against a tan. The Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipsticks never disappoint. They’re long-lasting, but not drying. Here’s a swatch:
As you can tell by now, my lipstick drawer is full of pink lips; it’s my safe spot. I don’t have to wonder whether I can pull it off, pink is just easy for me, all shades. I wanted to show you a few more colours in my arsenal for some colourful inspiration today. The three colours are from ColourPop, Kylie Cosmetics and Revlon (left to right).