Since we’re still in January and we’re all looking to be new and improved versions of ourselves, I thought I’d let you all in on my skin care secrets.
Here are my fail-proof skin rules that I usually refer to as my skin commandments:
- Drink More Water: This is an obvious one, but it truly does make a difference in the way you feel and the way you look. Water doesn’t necessarily hydrate the skin in the way we believe it does, but I always know when I’m suffering from dehydration, my skin starts eating up my makeup. I have an app of my phone “Water Drink Reminder” which reminds me every ten minutes to drink water.
- Cleanse Your Skin Twice Daily: You must wash your face; at night it’s a requirement and in the morning you can splash some water on your face if you prefer. You do not want to go to bed with traces of makeup, dirt or oil which can lead to clogged pores, breakouts and dull skin. At the very least, keep makeup wipes close by to use when exhausted.
- Load Up On Antioxidants: Antioxidants are vitamins and nourishment for your skin. Some, like Vitamin C, increase the effectiveness of your sunscreen and fight off free radical damage that lead to signs of aging. I prefer to use them in the form of a serum as it penetrates better.
- Moisturize Your Skin: And when I say to moisturize your skin, I do not mean slapping it on, but massaging your moisturizer into your skin in circular motions. It helps increase circulation, I totally believe in facial exercises.
- Protect Your Face: Sunscreen is a must! The damage caused by UV rays can caused irreversible damages. You want a sunscreen with a minimum of SPF 15 that protects both from UVB (burning) and UVA (aging) rays.
- Exfoliate at Least Once or Twice a Week: Exfoliation removes the dead skin cells that can dull your skin and also gets rid of any flakes you may have. I prefer chemical exfoliation as it gives you a deeper exfoliation and can really get into your pores. If you do use a physical scrub, opt for one with spherical beads to avoid scratching your skin.
- Retinoids: Retinoids are a God send and help with so many skin issues. They help with acne, aging, dark spots, etc. Retinoids basically tell your skin to act right.
- Hands Off: This was my worst habit as a teenager. I was constantly touching and picking at my skin. This can lead to scarring and dark spots. By touching your face, you could also be transferring bacteria, so make sure after you’ve completed your morning or nightly routine, no more touching!
- Sleeping Beauty: So, we are all already aware that sleep deprivation is never a good thing for your skin (think dark circles and a grey cast), but you can also optimize your sleeping beauty routine with the following tricks. I sleep on a satin pillowcase, unlike cotton, it won’t dry out your skin or your hair. I routinely change my pillowcase as well. I also turn on my humidifier at night which makes my skin super soft in the morning.
- Jump Rope: Last but not least, exercising. I believe a dose of cardio can be rejuvenating to your skin. Naomi Campbell in her New Beauty interview had said that jumping rope keeps her skin taut. A friend had shared that her dermatologist told her to jump rope to help with her acne. Get your blood pumping and add some sort of cardio to your daily routine.
Those are my top ten skin rules, please share some of yours below!